I was testing RubyDNS and found that it was a bit unreliable after a few minutes. This was actually due to a bug in the net-mdns resolver. Basically, if you want DNS resolving to work, don't use net-mdns gem. The standard resolver, works fine though (apparently it used to be broken, which is why I used the net-mdns implementation in the first place).
Anyway, during testing I made a script for testing DNS resolution, and it is bundled as part of RubyDNS:
rd-resolve-test is a simple executable which starts a number of threads. Each thread resolves a number of names against given DNS servers. This allows you to test both performance and success of a DNS server under load.
You can specify a file that contains a list of domains to use for testing, e.g.:
You can customize the number of threads and names resolved per thread. Use -h super powers for more information!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be formatted using Markdown. Links can be enclosed in angle brackets, e.g. <www.codeotaku.com>.